Our Heritage

While General Dynamics European Land Systems was established as the European arm of General Dynamics in 2003, its roots in global defense go back more than 470 years.

The first company the group acquired in Europe, Santa Bárbara Sistemas (Spain) in July 2001, is recognized as one of the oldest weapons manufacturers in the world. It began making cannons for Spanish Armada in 1540.

Motorenwagenfabrik Mowag (Switzerland) was established in 1950 it has made its name internationally as a leading manufacturer of troop carriers and other specialized vehicles.

Foremost among these is the PIRANHA family, the most successful Western wheeled armored vehicle ever, which is now operated by more than 20 armies worldwide. Mowag became part of GDELS in July 2004.

The other vehicle specialist in the group is Steyr-Daimler-Puch Spezialfahrzeug (Austria), a company whose engineering expertise dates back to the mid-19th century.

It switched from manufacturing civilian vehicles to military ones a century ago in 1916, a path that led the way to the introduction of another highly versatile family of modern armored vehicles, the PANDUR. Steyr-Daimler-Puch has been a wholly owned subsidiary of GDELS since October 2003.

Another part of the group that can trace its history back more than a century and a half is the former EWK Eisenwerke Kaiserslautern, which was renamed General Dynamics European Land Systems-Germany when it was acquired in October 2002.

The company’s experience in conventional bridge building led it into the specialist sector of military floating bridge systems. These are now used all around the world by armies and also by civilian traffic in times of emergency.

Another member of GDELS is a new venture into the Czech Republic, GDELS-Czech, which opened in 2014.

Last 30th of November, General Dynamics European Land Systems acquired Germany's FWW Fahrzeugwerk GmbH, a qualified maintenance and service provider for the German Army and other international customers. FWW has become part of the newly-established General Dynamics European Land Systems–Deutschland, located in Berlin.

FWW Fahrzeugwerk GmbH was founded in 2001 and is based on the tradition of the defense business in the region of Neubrandenburg, Mecklenburg Vorpommern. The company is an independent maintenance and service provider for various military vehicle systems and military customers worldwide and a qualified, reliable service partner for the German Army. FWW employs approximately 220 highly skilled employees and is headquartered in Woldegk, Germany.

Major events that have shaped the company

1540

Foundation of Seville factory in Spain


1572

Opening of the Granada factory in Spain


1794

Trubia factory in Spain starts operations


1864

EWK Eisenwerke Kaiserslautern was founded


1870

Steyr-Daimler Puch Spezialfahrzeug GmbH starts operations


1950

Motorwagenfabrik AG (Mowag) is established


1999

General Motors Canada acquires Motorwagenfabrik AG (Mowag)


1999

GD acquires 25 % of Steyr-Daimler Puch Spezialfahrzeug AG


2001

GD acquires Santa Bárbara Sistemas S.A.


2002

SBS acquires EWK Eisenwerke Kaiserslautern, renamed Santa Bárbara Sistemas GmbH


2003

GD acquires GM Defense, including Mowag AG


2003

GD acquires 75 % of Steyr-Daimler Puch Spezialfahrzeug AG


2003

General Dynamics European Land Systems was formed


2004

GD transfers 100% of Mowag AG to GDELS


2007

Santa Bárbara Sistemas GmbH renamed GDELS-Germany


2010

Full integration of Mowag AG y Steyr into GDELS


2018

General Dynamics European Land Systems acquires FWW Fahrzeugwerk GmbH